G98.7FM Entertainment News
The city of Toronto plans to cut Afrofest from its usual two days to one because of “noise violation.”According to Beaches-East York Councillor Mary-Margaret McMahon, her office was flooded with complaints from irritated east-end residents after last year’s festival, complaining that the music playing was far too loud, and continued well past the 8:00 p.m. deadline on Sunday.
Music Africa, which organizes the annual Toronto festival, says this cut will have a great impact on this year’s event and could put the future of the festival in jeopardy.
Music Africa President Peter Toh released a statement on Monday saying; “This move will not only make it difficult to organize a viable festival but also hinder its growth and community impact.”
He also rebutted the allegations of noise violation stating that; “The sound company we employ does most of the events at Woodbine Park, including Canada Day and Beaches Jazz festival concerts, and use the same sound equipment, crew and sound levels. The volume at Afrofest is no different than at those events, but in our case they are being called violations..” Toh said.
AfroFest organizers are encouraging fans to write to Coun. McMahon and Mayor John Tory to tell them their actions run counter to the goal of turning Toronto into a “music city.”
Source: CityNews.com/Image: 1loveto.com